Chhena Poda (Orissa style cheese cake)

Chhena poda is a cheese desert from the beautiful state of Orissa. It is the only Indian dessert whose flavor is derived from caramelization of sugar. Chhena poda originated in the town of Nayagarh in Orissa and is now avalaible in all over the state. It is prepared in Oriya homes during religious festivals like Durga Puja and Raja.

I don't even remember when I first had it but it has always been something that you can bribe me with. When I was a little girl, we used to visit my grand parents at our native village for summer vacation and every time we would stop at this small maret just outside our village. One of my dad's best friends had a sweet stall and he would make sure I get to eat the yummy chhena poda for which his shop was famous :)

I always wanted to try out this dessert at home, so I did some research, took some advice and prepared chhena poda. It turned out to be pretty good. So here we go.

Ingredients:

  1. Cottage Cheese : 4 cups
  2. Suji : 1/2 cup
  3. Sugar: 2 cup (can add more if you have a sweeter tooth :))
  4. Cashew: broken 1/4 cup
  5. Raisin: 2 tbsp
  6. Ghee: 2 tbsp

Procedure:

In a bowl knead the cheese nicely.
Add all the ingredients and mix thoroughly with hand.
To get a caramelized effect add 1 tbsp ghee on the baking tray add 1 tbsp sugar and heat it on top of a stop till all the sugar is caramelized.
Now pour the cheese mix on top of the caramelized sugar coated tray.
Preheat the oven to 450f
Bake it for 30-45 mins or till the tooth pick comes out clean.
Let it cool down completely and then turn it upside down. Slice and serve.


Try this out and let me know.

Till then happy blogging
Rakhee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Biryani in Rice cooker

Green Papaya Curry

Aloo Bharta ( Orissa Style Mashed Potato)