Pani Puri (Gup-Chup)

When I was in 5th grade our family moved to Rourkela, which started series of transfers for my dad because of his job and so did my love for pani puri. My had introduced me to pani puri and since that day I have been madly in love with this road side snack.
There was not a single day when i won't stop by the pani puri stall on my way back home from work.
Even the pani puri wala knew me ;)
After moving to the States you get everything but still the taste of road side pani puri is just no in the well decorated plates at sit in cafes.
So I started preparing it at home. I never attempted on preparing the puris at home, and if you have Indian grocery around where you live I would suggest just buy readymade puris as its easier and quicker :)
The trick to a tasty pani puri is real yummy water and aloo. So here goes my recipe.

Ingredients:
Pani:
  1. Tamarind: Size of a lime.
  2. Jal Jeera: 1/4 tsp
  3. Chilli Powder:1 tsp
  4. Green Chilli: 2-3 crushed (adjust according to how spicy the chillies are and how spicy you want)
  5. Mint Leaf: 2 Spring
  6. Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp Chopped
  7. salt to taste. ( Remember the jal jeera has some salt in it

Aloo:
  1. Potatoes:2 large (soaked for 30 mins)
  2. Onion:1 large
  3. Yellow peas: 1/4 cup (optional)
  4. Green chillis:2  crushed
  5. Coriander leaves: 1tbsp chopped
  6. Chilli Powder : As per taste
  7. Salt to taste.

Procedure:

Aloo:
Boil the potatoes and yellow peas.
Allow to cool.
Peel the potatoes and mash it.
Add finely chopped the onions, green chillies,m boiled yellow peas and coriander leaves to the mashed potatoes.
Sprinkle chilli powder and salt over it and mix well.

Pani:
Squeeze the tamarind pulp. 
Add more water, jal-jeera, chilli powder, muddled mint leaves and salt. 
The pani should be slightly sour and spicy.


To Serve
Make a small hole on one side of the puri. 
Put in the mashed potato-onion-peas filling. 
Dip the puri into the tangy pani and enjoy.
I am drooling just blogging about it.
Can't wait to indulge.
Till then Happy Blogging
Rakhee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Biryani in Rice cooker

Green Papaya Curry

Aloo Bharta ( Orissa Style Mashed Potato)