Kulfi

It was just last week, when I was complaining about how come its still so cold in the middle of April. This week I am all set to set up my air conditioner and get my old 95 Camry a new AC as it is so hot while driving. HMMMM nature and its mysteries. 

So I thought whats a better way to welcome long waited summer than some old fashioned kulfis. I remember my school days when during the summer vacation I would do anything to get my mom to buy me these yummy cold treats. 

It would just after we had a hearty meal and little past 1:00 in the after noon when we would hear the jingle of his cart and me and my cousins would shout kulfi and mom would get us all kulfis and then she would sit down with hers with my aunts and would never forget to mention her favorite story about me and kulfis. The stories goes something like this : I was born in Chandigarh where my dad was posted during his air force days. The summer there is really brutal. One a typical day after my dad had left for office a kulfi wala would pass through our lane and I being a baby and with my lack of knowledge of vocabulary would make baby nosies and point my mom towards the widow in a hope that she would understand and get me some kulfi........ BTW I don't remember all this, but this is how my mom explains it :). Any ways she would always buy kulfi and give few drops of it to me and of course finish the rest of it herself LOL!!!

Anyways as you know now that my obsession with kulfi is hereditary so here is my version of Kulfi:
Ingredients:
  1. Milk: 2 cups (makes four kulfi)
  2. Sugar: 1/3 cup
  3. Cardamon: 4 crushed
  4. Saffron: few strands
  5. Pistacho: 4 Crushed
  6. Almond: 2-3 Crushed
Procedure:

In a saucepan boil the milk with cardamon and lower the heat and let it simmer till the milk is reduced to half.

Add sugar , saffron, crushed pistacho and almonds for 4-5 mins.Let the mix cool down and then pour into popsicle molds.
 My  popsicle set has only 4 popsicle molds so the measurement is specific to what they would hold. Please feel free to increase the quantity of you have more or bigger molds. The best way is to measure milk using the mold itself. It would be double the amount each mold can hold. 


If you don't have mould use paper cups and popsicle sticks, do remember to cover the cups with aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 6 hours and enjoy the cool, creamy yummy treat with your friends and family.


Keep it outside the refrigerator before you can serve it for easy and clean removal from the molds.

This afternoon sitting in my balcony enjoying the kulfi with Tanmaya I told him the story and realized how time has flown and hoped may be some day when I have kids, I can a be as good to them as my mom has been to me and my brother.


Here is one to all the moms !!!!
Till then happy blogging.
Rakhee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Biryani in Rice cooker

Green Papaya Curry

Aloo Bharta ( Orissa Style Mashed Potato)