Sukhua Rai

Sukhua is oriya for Dry fish. It has been used in many cuisines for centuries now. Being from a costal state I have always enjoyed fish and related products, dry fish being one of them.
After coming to the states, I was not sure if I can find a place where I can buy these, as most of the Indian grocery stores are either run by Panjabi's, Gujurathi's or are south Asian, but one fine day I smelled dry fish being cooked  in my apt complex, and we have mostly south Asian people staying around, not much Indian. That made me realize that I can buy these somewhere. And I found them in most of the Chinese stores, and one of my friends mentioned that see even bought some from a Indian grocery store, Patil Brothers (for any body in santa clara/san jose, CA).

For this recipe I am using Hilsa dry fish that my Mom gave, but you can always use other kind of fish as well.

Ingredients:
  1. Dry Fish: 2 pieces ( if using smaller whole fish use 4)
  2. Green Chilli: 4 crushed (Adjust to spice level)
  3. Garlic: 4 cloves crushed
  4. Tomato: 1 large
  5. Mustard Seeds: 2 tbsp
  6. Garlic: 6 cloves
  7. Oil: 1tbsp
  8. Turmeric Powder: 1  tsp
  9. Red Chilli Powder:2 tsp
  10. Salt: As per taste( I used salted dry fish so I used less salt than usual, other wise as you would normally use)

Procedure:

Soak the mustard seeds, for 15 mins.
Soak the dry fish in water for 30 mins.
Make a fine paste out of mustard seeds and 6 garlic cloves. ( This paste is used in many recipes, so you can even make more and keep in the refrigerator)
In a pan heat oil and add the crushed green chilli and garlic. Cook for 2 mins but don't let the garlic brown.
Drain the dry fish and add it to the pan and cook for 2-4 mins, while cooking break the fish into smaller pieces.
Add turmeric powder and chilli powder and cook a 1-2 mins and add about 1/2 cup water.
add 2 tbsp of mustard and garlic paste, tomato and salt to the pan, mix well , cover and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
Remove the cover and mash up the tomatoes.
You would realize the fish is also cook through this process.
Cook without the cover till all the water dries up and you get a nice smooth thick gravy.
Serve it with rice and dal and enjoy.


Do remember switch on your exhaust fans while cooking, else like Tanmaya your family would ask why is the house smells like fish market LOL :)

Till Then Happy blogging.
Rakhee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Biryani in Rice cooker

Green Papaya Curry

Aloo Bharta ( Orissa Style Mashed Potato)